Thursday, June 9, 2011

Only This Much

My middle child is a sensitive little girl.

She's one of those kids who when she is in trouble, you only have to look at her, and she starts crying.

Last night, she knew she was in trouble.

She hit her big sister without provocation.
Her big sister told on her, and she went and hid.

Of course, I found her.

Immediately, she began crying...sobbing...real tears and everything.

"Daddy, are you mad at me?" she asked, chin quivering.

"Yes, honey, Daddy is mad at you."

More tears.  Heavier crying.

"Come hear, hon," I said.  "Look, when Daddy gets mad at you, he's mad for this long (holds up two fingers less than an inch apart.  And do you know how long Daddy loves you?"

Crying stops.  Inquisitive eyes.  Shaking head.

"Daddy loves you this much!"  (Stretches arms as far out as they can go.)

Big smile.

"Kaylee, Daddy will get mad at you, but no matter how mad I get, I will always love you."

Monster hug.  No more tears. 

No comments: