Monday, May 2, 2011

Why I Will Not Celebrate the Death of bin Laden

This morning I logged onto the internet and found the headlines blaring "Osama bin Laden is Dead".

Below the headline was a picture of a crowd gathered in front of the White House in jubilant celebration waving flags and smiling from ear to ear.  Within me, something died a little.

"How could that be?" you might ask. 

After all, I am an American citizen.  The mastermind behind the attack which killed nearly 3,000 Americans on 9/11 was now brought to justice with a bullet in his head.  The person who caused suffering for thousands of families was now dead, killed by a Navy Seal bullet.  The person whose cunning drastically altered the landscape of the U.S. when it comes to safety and human rights now lies buried at the bottom of the sea where no shrine can be built up around his grave.  Shouldn't my heart have given a leap?  Shouldn't my immediate response have been one of rejoicing?

I remember that day those many years ago when those planes flew into the World Trade Center towers.  I remember bodies falling from those towers and seeing the towers collapse upon first responders and others who were trying to rescue the wounded and dying.

And I remember scenes from countries around the world of people who hated us.  I remember seeing their celebrations.  I remember seeing them waving their flags and grinning ear to ear as the U.S. had been dealt a significant blow.  I remember seeing them celebrating our pain.  And I didn't like it.  One bit.

Yet, now many Americans are doing the exact same thing.  They are rejoicing in death.  Even if that death was justified in the "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" sense.  And I ask, "Are we no better than those who struck us in the first place?"

I ask that in light of my deeply held faith and convictions as a follower of Jesus Christ.  Jesus had a word or two for us who follow Him in regard to the whole eye for an eye thing.

"38You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; 40and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; 41and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile. 42Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you. 43You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. 46For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?"  --Matthew 5:38-46

“But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. Do to others as you would have them do to you. “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them."  --Luke 6: 27-32

Jesus urges his followers to respond differently to those who dole out hatred.

Jesus urges his followers to break out of the vicious cycle of retribution and revenge.

Jesus urges his followers to love our enemies and do good to those who hurt us.

It is neither easy nor popular.  It's much easier to celebrate and become joyful when our enemies get what we feel they deserve.  But that's not the way of Christ.  "What credit is it to you if you do this?" Jesus asks.  "Don't sinners do the same?"  In other words: don't sinners love those who love them and hate those who hate them?  Don't sinners practice and eye for an eye or a gift for a gift? 

Jesus calls us toward a different kind of life; a different kind of reality.  It is a reality where doing good to someone is not based upon what that person has or hasn't done to or for us.  It is a reality where doing good is done for the sake of God.  Why?

Because I believe Jesus is trying to teach us a very important lesson.  I believe Jesus is trying to get us to step out of our limited perspective and see things from God's perspective.  And what might that be?

Just this: even our enemies are made in the image of God.  God created them too.  God loves them too--even if we don't. 

This day, I cannot celebrate the death of bin Laden.  It reminds me too much of our fallen condition.  It reminds me too much of the cycle of pain and hatred.  Knowing al-Qaida, it's just a matter of time before they strike again.  Then we will go after another "mastermind."  The cycle won't end.

But I will live in hope.  I will pray for my country's enemies.  I will pray for my country.  I will pray that the cycle of violence and hatred will cease.  It will probably not happen in my lifetime, but I will do what I can in my own, small way to make it stop.

No comments: