Friday, May 20, 2011

A Man of God

This Friday I spent the better part of the morning running around Bellville taking care of various errands for my kids' schooling.

Among my tasks was dropping off the transfer papers for my two eldest at the Bellville Administrative Offices.

I walked in and handed my paperwork to the receptionist.  As luck would have it, the Assistant Superintendent was standing there in conversation with the receptionist and another lady.  It's been an interesting twist of fate having my kids in the Bellville School District since this Assistant Superintendent was my kindergarten principal.

We've had the chance to visit a couple of times, and I usually tell everyone how frightened of this guy I used to be.  (Note, I now am about six inches taller than this guy, and much broader in the chest and shoulders.  Needless to say, I'm not afraid anymore.)  Everyone laughs at that comment.

But it is interesting that since we have this connection in our past, this guy  is not ashamed to talk about the things I have accomplished.  He knew I was valedictorian of my high school class, and he began unabashedly sharing this information.

Then, one of the ladies recognized me because of my position as Pastor of St. John in Cat Spring.  She chimed that she was a member of the Lutheran church in Bellville.  I made some kind of quip that that's what they told me I did in Cat Spring.

And then my former principal said it.  "Kevin is a man of God."

For some reason, that title always makes me a little uncomfortable.  And I know why.

I replied, "Not really."

Weird looks.
"If people knew what was going on up here (pointing to my head), they wouldn't think I'm a God guy.  I just try to offer a word or two from Him as His spokesperson."

I could tell, they didn't really get it. 

But I do.

I know the secret thoughts of my heart, and they aren't pretty.  I'm like the old, black Baptist preacher who was once told he must live an exemplary life to preach great sermons full of the Gospel.  The preacher replied, "Sir, I can preach more Gospel in fifteen minutes than I can live in a lifetime."

In some ways, sad.  But it is true.

Sure, I preach God's Word.  I teach  His precepts.  I do a few good deeds from time to time.  But a man of God? 

Not too sure about that one.

Still makes me uncomfortable.

I really don't deserve the title because of my shortcomings.

But still folks will call me such. 

It's a mantle that I shoulder very reluctantly.

No comments: