Friday, May 13, 2011

A Giant Power Struggle

Interesting times in Cat Spring, TX.

Not only are we in the midst of one of those 100 year droughts, but folks have now come close to taking up arms because of a plan to run a series of power lines through the county.

I've heard numerous stories on the background of the ordeal, but in a nutshell, Center Point Energy wants to run 345kv transmission lines from the Fayette County Power Plant down to Harris County (in other words, Houston, TX).  In a sense, country folks are having to put up with their land being taken so that city folks can have electricity.  Unfortunately, Center Point Energy is apparently trying to ramrod this ordeal through on a fast track to avoid having to pay extra cast to landowners because of a law that goes into effect shortly. 

Now, I know country folks.  I are one.

I know we are willing to help out anyone at the drop of a hat.  We don't begrudge making sure folks have the things that they need.

But you'd better be straight up with us.

You'd better be honest.

You'd better not try to circumvent any processes or ramrod anything down our throats.

We will open a collective can of whoop a$$.

I think, as I have been a part of the conversation surrounding the proposed routes of these power lines, this is more than a case of NIMBY  (Not In My Back Yard).  I think this is also a case that digs far down into some of the perceived resentment country folks (including myself) feel or sense from people in the city.

For instance: we in the country do not have access to DSL or Cable Television.  We have to depend upon dial up or rather expensive broadband services that at times are unreliable.  We have to depend upon satellite for any sort of expanded television.  Why don't cable or phone companies offer such things?  Volume and cost according to them.  Those who live in the city get such things.  We in the country get overlooked--if you want to call it that.

Secondly, the "green" agenda is really rooted and grounded in places surrounded by concrete, cars, and people.  Not too terribly many folks in the country jump on the "green" bandwagon.  Hey, those of you out there who read this blog who are greens, please know, I love you.  I recycle myself, recently purchased a fuel efficient car, and got rid of my pick up truck.  However, I don't need the pick up.  Many of the cattle ranchers around here can't do without.  It's a necessity for their livelihood.  Being talked about as uncaring for the environment because you drive a gas guzzler is a slap in the face to many who provide food for those in the cities--those who simply go to the grocery store and buy what they need.  Farmers have seen an explosion in the amount of food they can produce due to the use of pesticides, herbicides and genetically engineered plant varieties.  Without such additions, we would not be able to feed the earth's population and keep food prices relatively low.  Yet, there are some who still deride farmers for using such things.  They will cry that farmers aren't caring for the earth.  Hello!  Farmers dang sure do care for the earth.  Without it, they wouldn't have any livelihood.

Thirdly, some folks who live in the city look down their noses at country folks as uneducated "hicks."  He, he, he.  Well, I'd like to introduce you to several out here who are world class lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc.  Furthermore, I'd like to see some of those who talk such talk design, build, and do many of the things some of the farmers and ranchers do around here.  Just because you are educated doesn't mean you have the ability to do something well.  To paraphrase a line out of the Michael Crichton book Congo: Read a book that tells you how to ride a bicycle.  Then go do it.  You will find your book knowledge is very, very limited.  There is such a thing as wisdom gained by practical application.

I could go on, but I will stop.  Please know that I am also aware of prejudices that country folks have toward city folks.  These are very real as well, but I don't think they are as pertinent to the discussion over these power lines.

What I think is pertinent is the feeling that city folks are trying to ramrod stuff through to benefit city folks at the expense of the folks in the country.  And the country folks are mad as hell about it.

As a country preacher, I am wondering a bit what my role is.  I am a preacher of the Gospel, not a political activist.  I share in my folks' concern to keep these power lines out.   I share in some of their frustrations and anger at the process.  But I also don't think it's my place to use the pulpit to give any sort of theological justification to the fight or to call down God's wrath on the power companies. 

I'm having a giant power struggle within myself over this giant power struggle.

I hope the lines don't go through Cat Spring, and I hope my role will become more clear.

No comments: