Friday, May 20, 2011

Donuts with Dad

Yesterday, my eldest's school held its annual "Donuts with Dad" breakfast.  For $1.75 you get to have a donut, a bit of juice, and milk along with sitting down to breakfast with your child.

My wife and I are parents who realize the importance of making such memories for our children.  We know how important it is for our kids to understand we are there for them at such times.

My daughter and I ate together, and we talked some about school and the previous day's field day.  We finished, and I walked her to her classroom.

When we got there, I noticed her shoe was untied.  She is perfectly capable of tying her own shoes, but every once in a while, she still wants me to be daddy and take care of her.  This was one of those occasions. 

Not only did she let me tie her shoe, she wanted to sit down on my bended knee.  She wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged on me.  I tickled and played with her for a few moments, and I returned her hugs with enthusiasm.

It was time for me to be moving along, but she looked at me and said, "Daddy, stay with me all day."

"I'd love to, sweetie, but Daddy has to go to work.  I will see you later today."

One more enthusiastic hug, and I headed down the hallway to my awaiting car.

As I walked, my eyes misted up.

In the not too distant future, I am pretty sure this little girl will want me to drop her off several blocks from school so that no one sees her embarrassing Dad.  I am sure she will want to distance herself from me as she defines who she is apart from me and her mother as well.  Parents will become those people who live with me and give me a roof over my head and cater to my demands for money and time and whatever else I need, but they are pretty much dumb and have no idea about how the world works.

*SIGH*

But, for now, I am still a giant figure in this little girl's eyes.  I can almost do no wrong.  I can fix anything.  I can change the world.  I can keep her safe and make everything right with a word and a hug.  And those hugs are demanded of me--sometimes overwhelming me as this little girl demands affection and attention. 

Part of me rebels against the attention and smothering, but there is another part that tells me, "Take it and save it for later when she thinks she doesn't need you anymore.  Cherish the moments and hold onto them.  Remember them because you will go through a dry period where she wants almost nothing to do with you.  They will get you through until that time when she looks back and sees that you weren't so dumb.  Then you will be her hero again.  She will know your limitations, but she will still see you as larger than life.  And her hugs will return, just a little different though.  And that's not a bad thing."

My daughter asked me yesterday afternoon to come and eat lunch with her today.  She wants me to pick up cheese sticks at Sonic along with a strawberry slush. 

It's my day off.  Why not?

Donuts with Dad.  Lunch in the cafeteria surrounded by screaming masses of little people.  But precious time spent with my daughter. 

I'll take it.

No comments: