Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sacrificing for a Dream

When I finally made the decision to actually purchase my dream car, I knew I would have to make a sacrifice.  There was no way I was going to allow us to become a four car family.  Neither was I going to go in debt to purchase the car. 

There was only one way the dream would become reality.  I had to give up something I really, really liked.  I had to give up my truck.

Now, this might not be a big deal to some, but I live in Texas.  We Texans love our trucks, and I loved mine.

I got a fantastic deal on a 2009 Ford F150 Supercrew.  It actually got pretty decent gas mileage for a truck that large.  22 mpg on the highway.  It had good power and tons of features I really liked: adjustable pedals, SYNC, Tow package, bedliner, running boards, plenty of room for my entire family including three kids in the back seat in their car seats.  I could haul just about anything I needed in the bed of the truck, and that bed served as a handy playground for three little kids.

But I made a promise to myself.

And I knew if I was going to fulfill it, I had to make a choice: wait for a good while, or give up my truck and buy my car.

I decided the wait was over.  Life is too short.

When you deal with some of the life situations I do, it feels good to get behind the wheel of a muscle car and lose yourself in a stretch of road with 80's rock music making your speakers shake.  For a few moments,  your body melds with the car, and you are lost to reality.  I don't speed often and I have no need for excessive speeds, but I do get a bit of small satisfaction in knowing I could blow past most of those who are passing me on the highway.  Such things are extremely enjoyable to me.

As is having my kids tell me, "Daddy, go fast!"  They like it when I red-line it.  I have to keep that at a rarity because it burns gas too quickly.

But I could not enjoy such moments if I hadn't sacrificed my truck.

I had to give it up.

Pursuing the dream cost me something.

But I was and am willing to pay.  That's life. 

I could go through some of the theological implications of this reflection, but the road is calling.  Time to go for a drive.

No comments: