Friday, April 15, 2011

How Limited are We?: Bishop's Conversation Finale

One of the most intriguing comments my bishop made to me as we conversed had to do with the scope of the ministry of our congregation in Cat Spring.

He said this or something very like it, "You are probably getting close to the limit of what you can do and how much you can grow out there, aren't you?"

I disagreed.

I know where my bishop was coming from.  He was approaching the situation of my congregation here in Cat Spring from a purely demographic standpoint.  And from that perspective, the future looks quite limited.  After all, our congregation sits squarely in a rural area.  We are 11 miles from the nearest congregation, grocery store, or population center.  Cat Spring is an unincorporated town with a couple of businesses and a post office.  Sure, there are people moving into the area, but we're not exactly a booming, bustling city or town.  It's quiet.  It's relaxed.  There's not much happening as far as things are concerned.

You would not expect a congregation to grow under such circumstances.  Generally, you like a place where you can reach a large population of people.  You want to be in a community that is growing and having people move into the area.  You want to be situated next to attractions and restaurants and areas where families congregate and gather so that you are visible.

Cat Spring doesn't have any of that, really.  Folks were really moving into the area before gas prices spiked and the housing bust.  But that's kind of trickled off now.  Demographically, because of this, you wouldn't expect a congregation to really grow or continue to grow.

But I disagree.  Why?

I'm not caught up in demographics too much.  Unfortunately, I handled the bishop's commentary with a demographic argument at first.  I responded, "We draw from all the surrounding towns.  We have members who commute from Sealy, Bellville, Columbus, Eagle Lake, East Bernard, and Chapel Hill.  We see all of these areas as mission fields, and people are willing to drive from there to here to go to church.  There's no reason growth can't continue."

As I reflected upon my response to my bishop, I wasn't satisfied with it.  At all.  It lacked something fundamental and very, very important.

I later sent an email to my bishop with a further response.

One thing I think I failed to address a little was the comment about being "limited" in our ability to outreach/grow/whatever out here in Cat Spring.  I talked about us drawing from far away, but I failed to mention that I simply don't buy into the limits we would like to place on things when it comes to church.  I mean, call me naive or what have you, but I firmly believe the Holy Spirit knows no such boundaries.  I believe a congregation even as isolated as we are can grow and thrive and continue to do such as it seeks to do God's will in this world. I am sure the disciples even thought they were limited in their ability to carry out the Great Commission, and I am almost positive not a single one of them would have believed 3000 folks would have been added to the Kingdom on the day of Pentecost.  Yet, that's exactly what happened.  God can make wonders happen.  In Cat Spring, or anywhere. 

I truly believe the words I said in that email.  I truly believe a congregation is only limited by its own failure to grasp and hold onto God's will for its ability to reach out.  I believe just about any and every congregation is capable of practicing the Great Commission and adding to the Kingdom of God.

I do not believe it takes any fancy gimmicks.  I don't believe it takes any high falutin' programming.  I don't believe it takes a "liberal" or "conservative" agenda or approach.  I don't believe it takes "contemporary" or "traditional" worship. 

I do believe it takes a congregation and leaders who truly seek God's will and seek to serve Him as much as humanly possible.  I do believe it takes good, solid preaching and relating God's Word to the everyday lives of believers.  I do believe it takes true hospitality--a genuine welcome of people and not simply an attitude of "we're glad you are here to increase our worship attendance and offerings." 

Such things know no human boundaries.  They are gifted and led by the Spirit of God.  Period.

So, how limited are we?

As limited as we choose to make ourselves.

A wise man once said, “For mortals it is impossible, but for God all things are possible.”

No comments: