Friday, April 1, 2011

The Best April Fool's Joke...So Far

I love it when April Fool's Day falls on a Sunday.

I wrack my brain trying to figure out a way to pull a fast one on my congregation.

A couple of years ago, I pulled the following...

I stood before the congregation following the pre-service ritual: announcement time.

I went through the upcoming events in the congregation, and then I proceeded, "Folks, I have one more announcement this morning.  According to our constitution, the congregation council, the pastor, or 10% of the membership of the church can call a congregation meeting.  I am invoking that privilege this morning."

Absolute silence.

"We need to talk about something very important this morning.  It's something that impacts the life of our congregation tremendously."

People leaning forward wondering what we need to talk about.

"I know that many of you probably have some plans following service today, but I really, really need you to stay.  Our discussion is urgent, and I need as many of you as possible to be a part of it."

Concern on faces starting to show.

"We need to discuss the fact that today is April Fool's Day."

Laughter followed by a few face-palms.

I walked toward the back of the church so I could process in when a member leaned over and whispered to me, "People have gotten fired for less than that."

I roared in laughter.

It's great to be a part of a congregation that has a sense of humor.

No comments: