Saturday, March 12, 2011

An Unwelcome Jolt of Reality

All too often, I think most of us live under the illusion of control.

We like to believe in our ability to take charge of situations; right the wrongs; and keep everything safe and secure.  We've concocted all types of laws and all types of technology to give us the illusion we can do this.

Sometimes we start believing our own press.  We think we have power to manipulate the earth's temperature.  We think we can keep terrorists at bay with airport screens and pat downs.  We think we can eradicate poverty.  We think we can save the planet.

It's all an illusion.

Unfortunately, we usually have to learn this the hard way.  Disaster has to strike before we are made aware of that thin line which separates us from being without shelter, protection, food, or clothing.  Suddenly, all of our safety is gone.  We are at the mercy of others to provide for us and get us through.

My heart agonizes for the people of Japan as they deal with the massive fallout of a giant earthquake and tsunami.  It agonizes like it did not all that long ago for the people of Indonesia when they dealt with almost the same circumstance.  I cannot begin to imagine waking up one morning with things going as smoothly as they tend to do, and then in the space of a few minutes, having your world destroyed.  I cannot comprehend such a thing happening--sure, I can see the pictures and the images, and I can pretend to sympathize or empathize or whatever word the P/C folks tell us is most correct; but I can't go there in my heart.  I can't feel what it is like.

And, honestly, I don't want too.

I want to pretend such things can't and don't happen.

I want to pretend that I can somehow control the whims of the planet.

I want to pretend I can magically wave my hand and ward off tornadoes, drought, hurricanes, and whatever other sorts of things could affect me where I live.  I want to pretend I am isolated from such things or at the very least I can prevent them.

But the reality of it is--I am not and I cannot.  None of us are or can.  It could happen right here at any moment. 

And there's nothing I or we can do about it.

It is at such times that I am glad I belong to a community of faith which sees such events, not as God's punishment on anyone, but as opportunities to offer compassion and assistance.  Small tokens out of my pocket and out of the pockets of others will travel around the world to bring food to the hungry, drink to the thirsty, and clothing to the naked.  Such tokens are what Jesus asks for those in need, and when we offer them, we are told we are actually feeding and giving drink and clothing Christ himself.

Such a community can make a difference in the world. 

It can't change it.

It never will.

We just don't have that kind of control.

But making a difference is enough.

And that's reality.

No comments: