Saturday, March 26, 2011

To Raise a Fuss or Not?

I don't know if it's just karma or what.

It seems like I always get worked up about car dealership offers that I receive in the mail, and I'm not talking about the ones which try to sell you extended warranties.  Those go straight into file 13 without reading.

Rather, I'm talking about those "special" promotional offers you get from a dealership.

Unfortunately for Chrysler/Dodge, the two times I have particularly gotten worked up has been at the expense of said dealerships.

The first go round was partly my fault.  While I read the fine print, I didn't quite do the calculations correctly.  The ensuing set-to would not have happened if I had done the figures in the first place; but even after it was done, I was none too happy with the local dealer. 

(Don't know if it was the way of things or just bad luck on their part, but the dealership closed down less than a year after I had issues with it.  I swore to stay away from Dodge/Chrysler at that time.  But Dodge has a really cool sports car: the Challenger!  Temptation.)

My unhappiness has held strong for quite some time, and normally, I wouldn't even consider working with a Dodge dealership again.  But...

After purchasing a gas sipping Chevy Cavalier, I have been waffling about selling my pick-up truck.  My family certainly doesn't need three vehicles, and I could buy a trailer to haul things around with my GMC Yukon XL if needed.  I'd be able to save on insurance and gas.  But I like my truck.

Low and behold, I get a mailing.  One of those "special", private offers.  But from a Dodge dealer.

Oh, what a tempting offer, though.  I will quote it to you verbatim:

Kevin, you are in a very valuable position right now because the vehicle you are driving is in extremely high demand.  Brenham Chrysler Jeep Dodge can buy your 2009 Ford F-150 for up to 120% of NADA Trade-In Value.  Plus we have 0% APR Available for up to 60 months, Ram Heavy Duty Trucks starting at $29,988, Ram 1500 Quad Cabs starting at $18,488, rebates and discounts up to $8,867, and No-Cost Upgrades to a HEMI.  Furthermore we have attached at $3,500 voucher to offset any negative equity.  This may make it possible to exchange vehicles with little to no out of pocket expense.

Well, I did do the math correctly this time, and I figured what 120% of NADA value would be on my truck, and that was a very, very tempting figure.  There was nothing in the letter that suggested that I HAD to purchase another vehicle, so I logged onto the website specially desigated for this offer.  I filled out the required information, and it told me someone would contact me shortly. 

I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

I think to myself, "I probably shouldn't have put in that the truck was lien free.  They are probably trying to get folks in there who are upside down on their vehicles and want them to wrap their notes into the new vehicles so they can make tons of interest on these things."

Just to give the dealership another chance, I call them the next day and talk to "Don".  "Don" promises to talk to the internet guy and either he or the internet guy would call me back shortly.

Well, that was the second promise to go down the drain.

I'm still waiting for that phone call.

Now, I sit and wonder whether or not to make a stink.  Should I let this dealership get away with such stuff?  Should I force the issue?  Should I go ballistic?  Should I write a letter to the local paper and detail the whole ordeal?  Should I just drop the whole thing?

Ah, decisions, decisions.

How does a Christian handle such things.  I haven't necessarily been wronged, but I feel a principle I value highly is being stepped on.  I value integrity and honesty...even from car dealerships.  Who will hold this dealership accountable for such things if I don't? 

But is it my job to do so?  And am I just acting on a personal vendetta against Dodge?  I would hope not, but...

What to do?

What to do?

What to do?

No comments: