Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thanking God for "Busy"-ness

For the first couple of years I served at St. John, I felt like I was on vacation.

This is what one experiences when moving from a congregation of 1400+ members as an associate pastor to the full time pastor of a congregation with 185 members.

I used to have afternoons to myself.

I used to have long stretches of time to play guitar, write some songs, go for prayer-full walks.

But those days are pretty much gone.

I know no one really feels sorry for me, and I ask for no sympathy.

I wouldn't be busy if God hadn't blessed this wonderful church that I am a part of.

Membership has grown as have activites and a willingness to reach out and become active in our community.

Yesterday, our youth group decided to sell Easter crosses in two prominent locations in Sealy.  For Lutherans, this is a big deal.  We generally don't take our faith out into public.  Only 15 crosses were sold, but a whole lot more people saw some dedicated parents and youth willingly giving up afternoons to promote their faith.  Of course, I had to get out there and offer my presence as support.  They didn't need me to show up, but nothing was going to keep me away.  I hope in some small way they saw my pride in their venturing out.

Today is sermon writing day.  It was also Bible Study day--to create my lesson for Sunday.  But my Bible study was not the only one dealth with.  An Associate Member is teaching a class at a large Presbyterian congregation in Houston, and he showed me his presentation.  After looking over it, I offered some comments to help him along.  (I also figured giving some Presbyterians a good dose of Lutheranism wasn't a bad thing.  BTW, Rick, that's a joke.)  He did a great job on his presentation, and I am hoping and praying it is well received.

In the middle of sermon writing and Bible studying, my phone was ringing off the hook.  One member's wife called me up to tell me about her husband's sudden brain surgery.  I had been told about it the night before and was intending to call this woman a little later, but she beat me to the punch.  In the middle of that conversation, I received another phone call.  I didn't answer it because of the serious nature of the one I was on.  But upon completion of the one call, I called the number back.  It was another couple who wanted to join the mission and ministry of St. John.  It's always nice to add a family member! 

I turned my attention back to my sermon.  Then my phone dinged me.  A text message from a woman whose 90+ year old mother was having a battery in her pace maker replaced.  Everything went well.  A phone call tomorrow for check up is all that will be necessary.

Sermon completed.

Bible study completed.

Time to run to Houston to the medical center to visit my member who had brain surgery.  No lunch with the family today.  Dined out on Mexican food.

Navigated the medical center streets and parked in the garage.  Darn spaces are too small for my truck.  Finally get into the hospital.  They moved him from ICU.  Track him down and enjoy a visit.  They bring him lunch.  It's the first time he's been allowed to eat in three days.  He relishes the food as we talk. He's doing well in recovery.  His mind has yet to fully recover--if it ever will.  He had masses removed.  Might be cancer.  Doctors don't know yet.  Massive prayers needed.  After visiting, I called his wife for an update on his condition.  She had returned home and was anxious for news.

Falling asleep in the truck on the way home.  Blood sugar low.  Stop at Sonic for a Vanilla Coke.  Know it's empty calories I really don't need, but it will keep me awake.

Back to the office.  Pick up the guitar and practice on a song for a wedding on Sunday.  An older couple tying the knot after dating for several years.  Both are special people.  One is a card playing buddy.  They asked me to sing at their service.  Found a great song and hope I do it justice.  Practice for an hour, and it's almost time to head out to pick up my daughter at the bus stop.

Have to make sure the church is open at 5:30 for decorating purposes for the wedding. 

I'll enjoy resting tonight.

And Spring Break next week.

But I know none of these things would necessarily be happening if the church wasn't living and thriving and actively reaching out and doing things.  Can it be overwhelming?  Sure.  But I thank God for the opportunity to be busy. 

No comments: