Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spreading God's Love by Graffitti?

Came across this today while taking the kids to Landa Park in New Braunfels.

Spreading the love of God by defacing public property?

Not too sure about that one.

I mean, I'm all for evangelism.  It's a high priority of the church I serve as pastor, and I'm constantly trying to work with folks to share their faith.

I'm also all in favor of unconventional methods of spreading God's Word.  I don't mind upsetting certain boundaries if it helps convey to others a sense of the Holy and of God's overwhelming love for others.

But graffiti?

I mean, I get the intent.  I appreciate the intent.  But there's something in me that says this ain't right.

I personally prefer the more personal approach.  I prefer face to face visits.  I prefer getting to know someone--really, as a true friend or neighbor.  And then, if the opportunity to share God's love comes, jumping into it whole heartedly. 

I'm also quite into public displays of God's affection as well.  Not afraid to let it be known how my church is helping out in the world--both my local church and national church.  I'm a staunch defender of the faith when folks try to talk about the abuses of Christianity while glossing over its immense amount of compassion and care.  I'll go toe to toe with anyone who disses the church's good deeds.

To me, these are much more appropriate gestures.

However, I much prefer this graffiti to what normally sees.

But, I guess in all, I'd prefer none.

No comments: