Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Secret to a Good Garden

Spring is springing quickly here despite the lack of rainfall.

My green thumb started itching as the weather changed, and the gut told me it was time to plant this morning.

Green beans, squash, cucumbers, corn, watermelon, tomatoes, jalapenos, and bell peppers.

When I first came to Cat Spring, I told the congregation council I needed a place to garden.  It was either that or pay for me a therapist.  They chose the garden.

Not to brag, but I am a pretty fair gardener.  Last year, we canned 70 pints of green beans off of a 10' X 14' plot of dirt. 

I gave more than a few grocery bags of green beans to several of the widows in my congregation.

I ate squash until I was ready for the plants to stop producing.

Unfortunately, several watermelons went to waste in my plot because we couldn't eat or give them away fast enough.

I've still got corn in the freezer from last year even as this year's crop is going into the ground.

I would love to tell you that I spent hours and hours tilling, weeding, fertilizing, watering, pruning, and all those other such things to make my garden produce as such.

But I'd be lying.

Sure, I did spend some time doing each of those things.  Probably should have spent even more time doing so, but I'm not sure it would have produced much different results.

Because I have a big secret when it comes to my gardening prowess.  And I guess I really shouldn't call it my gardening prowess at all.

Why?

Sure it's a little out of context, but none-the-less, it is the truth:

So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.  --1 Corinthians 3:7

And that, my friends, is the secret of a good garden.

No comments: