Friday, March 18, 2011

A Prophet is Never Welcome...

For those of us who are clergy, there is no mystery in Jesus' statement  in Matthew 13.57:

But Jesus said to them, “Prophets are not without honor except in their own country and in their own house.”

We understand this all too well.

Last night, some of our friends came over to my in-laws to visit.  I have friended them on Facebook and have talked with them on numerous occasions.

I was monitoring our sleeping children and stepped into the garage to raid the freezer to get a late night snack.  I was told, "Come here for a minute."

I walked outside where everyone sat on the patio.

My friend said, "I don't think I could ever really see you as a pastor if I came to hear you preach.  I mean, I see all the things you post on Facebook and the stuff you say."

Without a second thought I replied, "I'm too real for you, huh?"

Affirmative replies.  "You're just like one of us."

"Yep.  I am."

"But I bet your congregation places you way up here."

Well, maybe some folks do, but I don't think most of them do.  I think most of them know very well that I am all too human.

But there are some...

Some folks recognize you as a "prophet" or pastor, and they hold you to incredibly high standards.  Their expectations of you are to lead a VERY upright and moral life.  You cannot cuss.  You cannot drink.  You cannot become angry or frustrated at anyone.  You must lead by example in your giving 10% to the church.  You must never express your political opinions or persuasion.  Your kids must be absolutely perfect in church, in school, in life, etc.  Your spouse must be the perfect partner taking an interest in the congregation and serving where there is a need.  You cannot express a desire to earn more money because you are a servant of God and ministry should be more important than money.  You cannot have fancy cars or fancy clothes because then the congregation might be spoiling you too much.  You must toe the line in all things or risk public punishment and embarrassment.  Cross one little line, and someone could be calling for your head on a platter.

Such things happen to pastors.  (I'm not going to get involved in that whole double standard thing at this moment because it's not pertinent to the point of this particular article.) 

Such things happen to pastors, except in their hometown.

Where people know them.

"Is this not the carpenter's son?" the Jewish men asked in Nazareth.

"Is this not Kevin who we grew up with?" my friends say.

They know me.  They know what I was like.  They knew I could cuss a blue streak.  They knew I could be obnoxious.  They knew I could pick on people.  They knew I could be big headed.  They knew and still know that I am not perfect.  They know my failings and frailties.  The good news is, most of them know I can have such things and still be a pastor.  They know being called by God to preach and teach His word doesn't automatically turn you into something you are not.  It doesn't make you perfect.  It doesn't turn off your human switch.

Remember that paragraph I wrote earlier about all those "expectations."

Well, I don't live up to all of them. 

Nope.

Not at all.

My wife and I do maintain a 10% + tithe to the church, and I do try to refrain from announcing my political leanings.  But all that other stuff?  Mark it down that I don't measure up to a single one of them.  Not at all.

I'm human.  Flesh and blood.  With all that comes with it.

And even though I know some folks hold me to a higher standard than they even hold themselves, I do not try to live up to their expectations.  That would be an impossibility.

Instead, I will be an imperfect pastor.  In my home town or anywhere God calls.

No comments: