Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mystical Experiences: Sermon Delivered 3/6/2011

Sermon Title: Eyewitnesses of His Majesty

Have you ever had an experience where time just seemed to freeze? Even if it was for a moment, for a fleeting second? Have you ever experienced a moment in time where you felt like you were experiencing a different reality–a reality not governed by all of our understandings of space and time; a reality that seemed to be foreign, other-worldly, even mystical? Have you ever found yourself in a place where you believed you were surrounded by a presence that words couldn’t completely capture–where even though you were alone, you knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that you were not alone? Have you ever had such an experience?

If you have, odds are, you haven’t told too many people about it. Odds are, you have kept it mostly to yourself because such stories are often frowned upon by a world which is focused on things that we can measure, duplicate, authenticate, and rationally understand. If you start talking about a different reality, sensing the presence of something mystical or what have you, some folks cock their heads at you and wonder if you’ve got it all together. They start thinking they may need to talk to your family and friends about how much alcohol you are imbibing or what kind of medication you might be on. Some folks tend to get rather jumpy or twitchy when such experiences are mentioned. It makes them quite uncomfortable.

And the other side of this coin, is that for those of us who have had such experiences, we get kind of uncomfortable too. We begin asking ourselves, "Did I really experience that? Did that just happen to me? Was that real, or was it just a figment of my imagination?" When we work and live and breathe in a certain manner and have been taught that the world works in a certain way, when such things happen to us, we begin questioning our own mental states. We begin wondering if we are the only ones who have ever experienced such a thing, but rather than take a risk to talk about it, we keep it hidden, deep down inside. Generally, we are very uncomfortable talking about experiences such as these.

But, my brothers and sisters in Christ, let me let you in on a little secret of the Christian faith–such experiences are real. Such experiences are times when we literally find ourselves connected to a different reality–the reality of the Kingdom of God. Such experiences reveal things to us about the way the world should be, the way we should be, and our callings in the midst of this world that we now live in. The technical term for such moments is "theophanies." Most of us use the term "mystical experiences." And yes, they happen, and no, you are not crazy for believing you had one.

We actually see such a moment revealed in our Gospel lesson for today from the 17th Chapter of the book of Matthew. Jesus took three of his favored disciples up on a hill with him, and when they arrived at the top, Jesus was transformed before their very eyes. Suddenly, he was revealed as something more than a simple man, a simple rabbi, a simple faith healer and itinerant preacher. Jesus’ clothes became dazzling white, and Moses and Elijah stood beside Him. A voice boomed over the setting, "This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!" The experience terrified Peter, James, and John. They knew they were experiencing something which was full of power and might and majesty. They knew they were seeing and sensing something fulled with the power of the Kingdom of God. They fell on their faces, and it was only when Jesus came and touched them that they were able to rise once again. And Jesus commanded them to keep silent about what they had seen until after the Son of Man had been raised from the dead.

I’m sure that comment confused them at first, but after Jesus’ death and resurrection, it became clear. They knew they need not have any shame recounting the experience. In fact, they knew it was meant to be shared. Peter boldly writes in our second lesson today, "16For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we had been eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17For he received honor and glory from God the Father when that voice was conveyed to him by the Majestic Glory, saying, "This is my Son, my Beloved, with whom I am well pleased." 18We ourselves heard this voice come from heaven, while we were with him on the holy mountain. 19So we have the prophetic message more fully confirmed."

For Peter, James, and John, this experience upon the mountain top helped confirm for them the reality of who Jesus was and is and is to come. This experience confirmed their understanding that the Messiah had come, had suffered death, was resurrected, and now had sent them out to proclaim the good news. This experience gave them confidence to preach and teach and suffer and die for their risen Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Mystical experiences will do such a thing to you. Yet, for many of us, why instead do we keep silent? Why do we refuse to share them with one another? Are we scared to reveal what God has done in us and to us and through us? Are we scared that we are alone in how God has touched or spoken directly to us? Do we not trust our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ enough to share with one another what God has done?

Perhaps we need to humbly be willing to share such stories with each other. Perhaps we need to humbly be willing to help others know that God still is living and active and moving in the world. Perhaps we need to be bold enough to overcome our fears and like the apostles say, "We are eyewitnesses to His majesty." Perhaps we need to say, "We know because we have experienced the power of God in our lives."

I know I have shared with many of you the experience of my call to be a pastor. It squarely falls into the category of mystical experience. I would like to share it with you once again to somewhat allow all of us the opportunity to risk and share our personal encounters with the Holy.

I remember very clearly I had just completed my senior year of high school. I was working at Banquete Grain Co-op. Grain season was just about over, and I was turning my attention to preparing to enter college as a freshman at Texas Lutheran College. I was full of excitement and love. Yes, I was in love at the time with a young woman in Houston. I thought she and I would spend the rest of our lives together.

But I was sadly mistaken. I received a "Dear John" phone call that shattered my dreams. I thought I had life all planned out. I thought I knew how everything was going to go. I’ve sense learned it is much better to be a little more flexible, but that is beside the point.

The point, I will get to later. After a horrendous night’s sleep, I awoke the next morning, skipped breakfast, and headed outside. My emotions were running around my insides like no business. I began walking around the back ½ acre of my parent’s home. I slugged a tree in anger–won’t do that again, that’s for sure. Then, I arrived at the furthest corner of the property. I laid my head against a fence post and wept.

After a few moments, I stopped, and I looked heavenward. Time stopped. For a few moments, I saw the sky as I had never seen it. It became impossibly blue. The clouds took on a clarity of definition that was amazing. I heard God speak to me at that moment, "You will be a pastor," He said. "Everything will be O.K." I stood there reveling in the moment. It was a pure state of awesomeness. But you know how they say that you can’t stay on the mountain. Well, I was brought back to earth rather quickly by the fire ants which had begun to climb the fence post. But, I didn’t forget the moment. It gave me clarity. It gave me hope. It gave me direction. And even during the rough times, I remember this event and trust His promise.

Now, I know that not everyone here has had such moments. You may not want one yourself or you may be longing for such a time and have not experienced. I would like to offer you two thoughts: number one: be patient. Mystical experiences are not like candy machines or movie rentals online. You can’t just order them up. God gives them when they are most needed. Second: pray for one. Pray that God opens you up to experience a moment of His Kingdom on earth. When your heart and mind and eyes and ears are open, you will receive. Again, it may take time, but be patient. It’s worth it.

And then, once you have such an experience, I would like to encourage you to share it with others. Build trusting relationships where you feel at ease talking about encountering God. Find someone you trust who will listen without judgement to your holy experiences. Give thanks for them, and then use them as the apostles did. Know that you are an eyewitness to His majesty, and help others discover just how powerful it is. Amen.

No comments: