Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lunch with the Bishop

Yesterday, I had lunch with my bishop, Mike Rinehart.

I must say, the experience was very pleasant.

Mike and I are a lot alike in many ways.  Don't know if he would agree, but this is a blog from my perspective, not his.  There are some notable differences, but they stem from our underlying assumptions on how we view things.  He tends to lean more toward the left, me to the right. 

But it was obvious that such differences could not negate the fact we are both very passionate about our church and its ability to reach out with the life-changing news of Jesus Christ. 

One of the first things that struck me as I met Mike at the office was he was in perpetual motion at the time.  I guess it's because his schedule is a little more full than mine.  I'm from the country, and I have coached myself into a type B personality.  I purposely don't move very fast and tend to take my time.  Mike seemed to be moving in 5th gear, and I had to spend a few moments thinking about putting the clutch in and moving a little faster too.  Eventually, I decided not to.

Mike graciously drove his car to the restaurant. China Bear.  All you can eat buffet.  I was thankful he drove because 1. I was driving our new-used Chevy Cavalier.  Mike and I are both over 6 foot tall, and his Ford 500 was much more roomy.  and 2. I didn't know where the restaurant was.  Mike could get us there and back since he knew the territory much better than me.

We ordered our drinks, and Mike showed me around the buffet.  He was being incredibly hospitable at this point.  I wasn't used to such treatment.  I usually take things in on my own and scope out restaurants and buffets without a tour guide.  Having Mike show me around the food was unusual for me.  But we finally got our plates, I prayed, and we commenced in the serious business of eating.

This was the first time in ten years of preaching that I had actually sat down and had an extended one on one conversation with my bishop.  It was the first time, I really had an opportunity to check in with my overseer and express my thoughts and opinions in depth on a variety of issues.

I must confess, the more we spoke, the more wound up I became as we touched on topic after topic regarding the mission and ministry of the church.  Mike and I spent no time arguing about issues of disagreement, but we found plenty of ground in discussing things that were and were not working in the church at large. 

I am going to keep much of that conversation private as I have not asked his permission to reveal anything that was discussed, but I must say that as he revealed his philosophy and responded to many of my comments and questions, I found my respect and admiration growing.

Mike and I may not agree on all points of doctrine and expression of the faith, but I am proud to serve with him.  I look forward to his visit with my congregation on September 25th of this year, and I hope my congregation receives him with graciousness and hospitality.  I hope they get a chance to see his heart and passion for the Gospel and the desire for the church to reach out and spread the good news of Jesus Christ.

No comments: