Sunday, March 6, 2011

Invitation to Check out A Conversation

I'd like to invite all my blog readers to check out a conversation I am currently engaged in with my bishop: Michael Rinehart. 

Mike has graciously allowed me to be a guest post on his blog.  I have raised a few items for clarification from one of his postings entitled "Going with the Gut":

http://bishopmike.com/2011/03/03/going-with-the-gut/

Our conversation begins here:

http://bishopmike.com/2011/03/05/guest-post/

It will continue for a couple more posts.

It is my hope that such types of conversations can be held in this manner.  30 second sound bites and 2 minute mini-lectures at Synod Assemblies and other places are far to short to deal with substantive issues.  I trust Mike even though I don't necessarily see eye to eye with him on some things.  I know he is a willing listener, and you will see that he readily engages me without any sort of name calling or underhandedness.

In my opinion, this is how disagreement and clarification should be done in the church.  Too often it's easy to surround ourselves with people who agree only with us and affirm our position.  While making us feel good, it's not good for growth. 

Thanks, Mike for your willingness to engage me, and I invite anyone who wishes to guest post to disagree with any of my posts to do so.  I won't tolerate nastiness or name calling, but good, honest, conversation and debate is most welcome.

No comments: