Friday, March 4, 2011

In a Hurry?

For some reason as I was mowing my lawn today, I had Alabama's song, "I'm in a Hurry" going through my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6slibTD9MF0

I can remember singing this song along with the radio as I was growing up in the late 80's and early 90's.  Sadly, things have not changed since this number came out.  In fact, for many, things have gotten worse.

It seems most folks are always in a hurry--rushing from place to place--traveling from function to function--hardly stopping to take a breath.  Activities fill up our calendars as we almost seek to leave no stone unturned as we go through life.

Sometimes I wonder if our engagement in activity isn't driven by a fear we will miss out on some experience before we die.  Other times, I wonder if as parents we live vicariously through our children as we put them in all the things we wish we were able to do.  I'm also cognizant enough to know schools and colleges have done parents no favors with their decision a few years ago to include activities participated in along with grades as keys for admission.  Whatever the reason, it seems folks schedules are packed to the gills, and folks don't tend to slow down.  At all.

These thoughts started ruminating this morning as I was reflecting on a home visit I had recently.  I sat down with a congregation member who lives right next to a vineyard.  The day was absolutely gorgeous.  After I knocked on her door, she said, "Why don't we sit outside on the porch?"

Great idea.  We sat outside for several minutes listening to the sounds of Cat Spring.  Cars driving on the nearby farm to market road.  Birds chirping.  Dog barking and growling intermittently.  The wind blowing through the trees. 

We talked, and our conversation ranged from the weather, to her recovery from cancer, to gas prices, to the inefficiency of government, to the uproar in the Middle East.  We didn't solve any of the world's problems, but we at least put them on the table.

And that's where we left them too.  Once we set them out, we didn't pick them up again.  For all I know, they blew away in the Cat Spring breezes.  They were way out there, and we were right here, enjoying what was real; enjoying a break from television, radio, computers, games, music, concrete, noise, and you name it.  Apart from such things, with only our connection as a pastor and parishioner, with only our connection as two children of God, we could focus.  We could relax.  There was no need to rush or hurry through conversation.  We could just be.

I thought of that after I finished mowing and sat in my carport in a folding chair.  I drank a Coke, snacked on some dried fruit and vegetables, and watched my son drive around on his push tractor.  I watched folks drive by on our street.  And I thought of how most folks just don't do this anymore.  Most homes built now-a-days don't have porches.  They may have entryways, and many families don't even use them because they go through attached garages into the house.  Garage door openers allow a person to exit a car and enter a house without even stepping out.  Convenient, yes, but no one ever gets to see you.  Is it a wonder why we don't know our neighbors?

I have to wonder if being connected--truly connected to others helps us actually slow down.  I mean, you really have to invest time and effort when you visit with someone face to face.  Texting is easy.  There's no investment in time other than finger tapping.  There's no reading another's face or body language.  There's no sitting in silence--allowing a poignant moment to pass.  There's really no connection.   But we can get it done fast. 

So we can move onto our next project.

Our next appointment.

Our next activity.

Our next text.

Or call.

Or email.

Hurry, hurry, hurry.

Why not slow down?

Why not really connect?

Why not have some face to face time and cut out some of the non-essential things?

Life might be much more meaningful.

It just might.

No comments: