Monday, March 28, 2011

Going to Level 2

Since January, I have been trying to maintain my health by working out with a "kettlebell."  It's an interesting little contraption which is basically a ball of weight with a handle.  Exercising with it incorporates both cardio training and weight training at the same time. 

Toward the end of January, I bought a video to help me in my endeavors with the exercise: Jilian Michael's "Shred it with Weights."  The first time I did level one, I thought I would crater.  I wasn't used to working out in such a manner.  However, I was pleasantly surprised that in about three weeks time, I had nearly mastered Level 1.  I was able to complete all the exercises and even take several of them to the "crazy" level--as Jilian calls it.

I then decided it was time to take it up a notch.  It was time for Level 2. 

Warning bells should have gone off in my head when Jilian began the introductory segment with an evil laugh and the comment, "You are going to rue the day you bought this tape."

What transpired next was a 27 minute butt kicking.

I confess, I couldn't handle it.  I had to reduce the weight on my kettlebell to even finish.  Toward the end of the exercise, we had to do push ups.  No problem, right?  I used to be able to knock those things out with no problem in my younger days.  Not this time.  The exercises I had done in the earlier segments had zapped my strength and power.  In order to complete the rotation I had to do "girl" push-ups (at least that's what we called them when I was growing up.).

There was and is a part of me that wants to go back to level 1.  Level 1 was easier.  It was less intense.  I was comfortable there and could have stayed there for a very long time. 

But...

If I want to grow...

If I want to continue to see results...

If I want to continue to move toward health....

I've got to stick with level 2.

I've got to endure the pain.

I've got to endure the soreness.

I've got to humble myself and work up to getting stronger even though I have a long way to go.

I've got to be disciplined and move forward even though there is a part of me that wants to go back.

Many times I have run across congregations who begin a program of outreach and evangelism.  They grow and reach a certain level, and then they become comfortable.  They are happy with increased worship attendance.  They are happy with increased revenues.  They are happy seeing programs becoming revitalized and stronger.  They like having kids where once there were none.

But then the growth ceases.

Many thinkers, yours truly included, believe the growth ceases because a congregation needs to move to the next level.  A notch needs to be kicked up.  Some folks have heard of the family church; pastoral church; program church; and corporate church paradigms.  I still adhere to such thinking in most of what I do.

And I know transitioning isn't easy.  It involves moving up a level, and the transition can be very, very tough.  It can be painful.  It can cause soreness and anxiety.  There's an awful temptation to remain at Level 1 because we know it; we've mastered it; we're used to it; and at least we're doing something.  Why should we work through the pain and head to the next level?

I've been working at level 2 of the Jilian Michaels tape for a couple of weeks.  I've actually started alternating between the two levels because they each work different body groups, but that's beside the point.  I'm not going back to strictly level 1.  I'm still working at reduced weights on level 2, but yesterday, I managed to get through the whole thing with only one, minor pause.  I will keep pressing forward.

Why?

I'm seeing results.

At the height of my weight gain, I was a 38--pushing 40--inch waist.  I weighed 245 lbs.  I began walking and went down to 205 lbs.  Interestingly enough, I have gained weight back.  I'm now sitting at 215 lbs.  I started gaining when I started working out with the kettlebell.  BUT...

I am losing inches.  Most of my jeans are still size 36 waist.  But for the past two days, I have been able to take them off WITHOUT unbuttoning them or unzipping them.  Don't picture that in your head, but at least think about the reality of that.  Muscles are building--which is healthier than fat.  Fat and inches are disappearing.  Level 2 is working even though I continue to experience soreness and cannot finish the program with the full compliment of weight.  In short, I'm continuing to develop a healthier body.

I am personally going to push on.  I will begin adding more weight in the next couple of weeks, and I'll end up spending more time in Level 2 than Level 1.  You've got to keep taking it up a notch to see the results.

I think it holds true for churches as well.

As my congregation continues to grow, I'll let you know.

No comments: