Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Face of Health Care

I know there is much debate over the health care bill passed into law last year.

I know legal challenges still abound.

I know there are people within my congregation who want to see this bill repealed.

I know there are people within my congregation who feel the bill didn't go far enough.

Ah, the joys of addressing such issues without taking a side or telling someone what to do.  It ain't easy, that's for sure.

But I must enter the foray for just a moment because I came face to face with the reality of health care just the other day.

I had a delightful conversation with some folks who have worshiped with our congregation. One was a cancer survivor.  Unfortunately, she had lost her health care because of circumstances far beyond her control.  How could she ever now obtain health coverage?

Mind you, she was and is willing to pay.

But no one would insure her.  At all.  Too high a risk.

If cancer were to recur, she would lose everything.  Her home.  Her savings.  Everything.

No inheritance for her child. 

Is this right?  Should a person go broke because of health care costs?

Should a person lose everything?

I personally do not believe so.  I personally believe it's wrong for such a thing to happen.

Because of the health care law, this woman was able to get into a pool of high risk patients and obtain health care.  She's now covered whereas she wouldn't have been before.

If the health care bill is repealed, what would happen to this person?  Would another immediate law be put into place so that she will not be dropped when she is willing to pay? 

It's easy to talk about laws being repealed when you look at the abstract.

But what about when things become personal?  When you see face to face part of the benefits?

As a Christian, I could never look this person in the eye and tell her, "Tough luck, just pray nothing ever happens to you."  That just doesn't seem Christ-like.

Do I know what the answer is?

Not a chance.

But I do know, I'm glad this woman now has a chance to purchase health care when she didn't have that opportunity before.

No comments: