Friday, February 25, 2011

Saying Good-by to a Virtual Friend

About a week ago, I decided to kick a habit.

I decided to say good-by to a virtual friend.

For a couple of years, I freqented and posted regularly on a Lutheran Message Board.

Several times, I found myself getting quite worked up about things going on and being said on that board. 

Several times, I didn't sleep too well after engaging in a virtual debate.

And then I awakened suddenly to the realization of that word "virtual."

It's not real.

It's artificial connection.

There is something within me that while embracing technology (this blog for instance), also rebels against it.

There is part of me that doesn't even like picking up the phone to call a congregation member.  I'd rather meet face to face.  I realize the impossibility of visiting in person about every single jot and tittle that goes on in church, so I use the phone.  But I still don't quite like it.

Even last week, I got an email from my bishop.  To set the background, as a matter of principle, I don't fill out congregational reports and send them into the larger church office.  If someone really wants my reasons why, I'll do a blog on it in the near future.  We fill them out here at the church and file them here for future reference, so we don't lose the documentation.  We just don't send them in.  (Again, if you want to know why, just comment.  I'll be happy to fill you in on the details.)

My bishop was very kind.  He actually gave me a pass in filling out the forms, but he did ask me in the email how things were going, how my sense of call was, how worship attendance and giving were.  I hit the reply button and then stopped.

"I'll be d*mned if I do," I thought to myself.

I responded, "Hey Mike,

Glad you asked [about all the stuff].  I was disappointed our conversation at Theological Conference got cut short.  I would have loved to visit a little more.

In fact, instead of doing this over email, would you like to do lunch some time?  My treat.  I'll drive and meet you in Houston and get you out of the office for a few minutes--if that's kosher.

If it's not, I'll answer by email, but I'm starting to rebel against technology just a little--even though I'll keep up with the blog and stuff.  :-)

Peace,

Kevin

My bishop graciously accepted the invitation.

I'm looking forward to the face to face meeting.  There's more of a real connection.  There no barriers or filters between the two of us.  We can see the smirks on each others' faces when we are being sarcastic or humorous.  We don't have to try and interpret the words on the page and figure out the underlying motivations for usage.

We can honestly connect.

Like we as human beings are supposed to.

That's why I'm saying good-by to my virtual community message boards.  Trying to trade more of the virtual for more of the real.

I already feel better about returning to reality.

I think I'll try to stay there.

No comments: