Monday, February 28, 2011

I Understand Ron White

For the past several years, the ELCA Health Plan has been emphasizing wellness.

They are working diligently with clergy to promote health by helping us lose weight, maintain weight, reduce stress and other such things as part of a program to have preventative medicine.

I understand the approach and am very appreciative of it.

I'm currently receiving coaching in the "weight management" portion of this program.  Last year, I lost 40 lbs, and am seeking to keep it off.  I actually took an "after" picture yesterday, and was amazed at the results. 

Note: for those of you offended by seeing a pastor with his shirt off, please hit the red X button or back click and don't come back to this post.

After:



I'm pretty happy with the results.  I've begun working out with kettlebells, and I actually anticipate firming up a few more flabby parts.

But there is something that's bugging me right now. 

As part of my coaching, I'm working on eating healthier. 

I've proposed and set as my goal to eat more fruits and vegetables.  I'm working up to at least 4 servings per day by the next time my coach calls.

I'm a little bit too successful.

How do I know this?

Well, I do know I have substantially increased my fruit and vegetable intake because of the way my gastro-intestinal tract is acting.

Good Lord!

Do you know what that much extra fiber does to your intestines?

Do you know how it makes you feel full?

Hint: Methane!

I am having a serious debate with myself right now.  I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I now understand why so many vegetarians have sour looks on their faces.  They (like me) are bloated and trying to keep the gas in until an appropriate moment.

Sometimes, that's difficult.

Like when you are preaching a sermon.

Life was easier when I wasn't eating as much fruits and vegetables.

I was much more comfortable.

But at least I can now understand and appreciate more fully comedian Ron White's comment, "I didn't crawl all the way to the top of the food chain to eat carrots."

No comments: