Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Probably Shouldn't Have Done This...

...but I just couldn't help myself.

I don't like SPAM email.  Even if it comes from church sources.  I received the following today:

It is quite possible that you have received information before about this
manual, but the Blueprint for Change manual is making a difference in
congregations across the country. Presently there are close to 900 congregations
making use of it.  The manual is a 10 chapter process with questions at the end
of each chapters for pastors and leadership groups to use for discussion.  It
has been developed from my years of working with congregations across the
country who want to reach out to the non churched but can't seem to do it.  They
have tried different programs but they just do not work after a few months. 
Reason is to make changes needed in congregations takes time and takes a process
that will eventually involve everyone in the congregation.  It also has been
developed so that you do not create all sorts of problems within the
congregation.

I have served as a parish pastor in Texas, Nebraska and Kentucky.  I was
Director of Outreach in the Michigan Synod-LCA, Developer of the School on
Mission in the Michigan Synod-LCA and the Indiana-KY synod-ELCA.  I was a
pastor-evangelist in the LCA and a Partner in Mission in the ELCA.  I am an
expert in how not to do it, but overtime I learned some things that have come
together in this manual.

Cost is $14.95 plus postage and handling.  Use this email address to send your
order and the invoice will come with the manual.  It does work and I hope you
give it a try.  Be sure and include your mailing address with the order.
 

I won't include the name given in the email because I don't really want to cause too much of a ruckus.

Here was my response:

Dear ________________,

Thank you for your email regarding  the Blueprint
for Change, but I believe there is a better manual for
"growth."  It's one my congregation has used extensively in
the past several years, and it has worked wonders.  It's called the
Bible, and I highly recommend reading several chapters when it comes to
evangelism: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Acts.  Implementing the
strategies within those books really makes a huge difference in the lives
of congregations, and it brings about miraculous change. 

Peace,

Rev. Kevin Haug


May God forgive me if I have sinned, but if I did, at least I sinned boldly.   (I'm such a good Lutheran.)

No comments: