Friday, February 4, 2011

I Love Snow...Well, Maybe Not as Much as I Thought!

It's a joy raising my children--to watch them get excited at many of the same things I got excited at as a child and to share with them in that excitement now as an adult.

I can count on one hand the number of times between birth and leaving for college that we had a snow and ice storm in deep South Texas.  Living near Corpus severely limits your exposure to cold weather extremes. 

My sister and I loved it when it got cold and icy.  I remember one event where we bundled up, broke icicles off the roof, peeled ice off the leaves of trees, and crunched as much grass as we could.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember my sister and I ever getting a chance to have a snowball fight as kids.  We just didn't have snow.

In my six years serving the town of Cat Spring, I believe we've had ice or snow five of those years.  My kids have finally gotten old enough to get really excited when such things happen.  All three of them were bouncing off the walls last night with the prospect of snow and ice.

This morning, my son was up early which was o.k.  His early waking prepared my wife and I for the three robo-calls the school district sent out at 6:00 a.m. telling us school was canceled for the day.  (Two cell phones and a home phone.  The district left nothing to chance.)

My oldest was up next.  I told her to go look out on the backyard patio and see what happened, and she replied, "I know.  I looked out my window and saw all the snow on the (church) playground."

My middle child was up shortly thereafter, and they couldn't wait for the sun to rise and for breakfast to be eaten so they could head out and enjoy the winter wonderland.

Finally, all the kids were bundled up, and we headed out.  Their excitement had built to a crescendo and burst as they headed out to play in the snow and ice.  Each kid had the opportunity to go down a snow covered slide.  They slid around on icy sidewalks and streets.  My son was frightened at his first fall, but when I held his hand and he continually slipped, he found it funny.  Soon, even if he fell on his own, he thought it funny.

The snow was dry, so building a snowman and having a true snowball fight was out of the question, but that didn't prevent the kids from at least trying to do such things.  Snow flew through the air hitting all of us and covering us with a dusting of the white stuff.

But then reality started to set in.  After about 20 minutes outside with the temperature hovering in the mid-20's and thrusting their hands over and over again into the snow, hands started getting very cold.  Cheeks became flushed.  Noses became ruddy.  The kids got uncomfortable and wanted in.  Now!

As my wife and I dug through the clothes to find our children, my oldest complained about her hands being cold, and she said in no uncertain terms, "I am never going out there again!"  (It's a promise she's about to break at the time of this writing, but temps are above freezing, and the snow is melting.)

I chuckled inwardly at the comment.  After all the excitement; after all the preparation; after all the build up; 20 minutes was it.  It was over and done.  Stick a fork in it, and call it a day.

But isn't that our nature as humans?

We build ourselves up and convince ourselves we need the newest fashion trend, the hottest car, the newest piece of electronic gadgetry, or the newest video game release. 

When we finally appropriate our heart's desire, we play with it for what seems hours upon hours.  It's finally ours.  Revel in how much fun we are having.

But, after a while, reality sets in.  Another fashion trend renders our clothing obsolete.  Newer cars come out, and ours becomes just four wheels driven by a combustion engine.  The enjoyment of driving it is much less.  The electronic gadget has flaws and becomes outdated within a month, and we are stuck with using it.  We beat the video game, and while it gave us pleasure, there's no more mystery, so we allow it to gather dust.

"I'm never going to do that again," we might say to ourselves.

But we do.

We repeat the pattern over and over.

It seems to be our nature.

Can we ever be content?

Can we get to the point we can enjoy the snow and cold even though it makes us uncomfortable?

Can we be content without the newest fashion label or video game?

I haven't gotten there yet, but there are moments.  There are times I can be fully content.  I consider them gifts from God, and I hope they become more and more.

No comments: