Saturday, February 19, 2011

Courage or Cowardice?

It really depends upon one's perspective.

Political headlines across the nation are highlighting the ongoing battle in the Wisconsin senate where all of the Democrat senators have skipped town to prevent a quorum.  They have done so in protest of a bill restricting the collective bargaining ability of state workers' unions.

There are those who call such an action cowardice.  Running from responsibility.  Tantamount to a child yelling out, "I don't like your toys, I'll go play with someone else."  And so the child goes and hides in the corner, head sulking, hoping his or her actions will change the game.

Then there are those who call such actions courageous.  Standing on principle.  Preventing the passing of a law that they feel is unjust.  Using the one iota of power they have to stop a process they don't agree with.

So which is it?

Ah, meddling in politics is not the job of the church.  The Augsburg Confession makes that absolutely clear.  In fact, if one of these senators had come to my office and asked me, "Pastor, what should I do?" 

I would have responded, "You must allow your faith and conscience to guide you.  I can't make the choice for you." 

"But what would YOU do?"

A good question.  A very good question.

More than once, I have found myself on the "losing" end of an argument within the church.  On numerous occasions, I have seen my denomination, my synod, and my congregation (not the one I currently serve) looking to make decisions that I did not agree with and felt were a detriment to the mission I believe we are called to accomplish.  Each time such a decision was being made, I have attended the meetings, stated my case, and let the chips fall where they may.

That's my style.  That's what I do.  Good, bad, or indifferent.

I've seen how things cycle.

I've seen Republican controlled governments.

I've seen Democrat controlled governments.

There's a whole lot of posturing that goes on.  Laws get passed.  Laws get reversed.  A whole lot of emotion, time, and energy tends to get wasted.

I have come to see that patience is a virtue.  Time has a way of revealing the truth.

Sometimes, I have been wrong in what I saw happening.  Sometimes I have been right. 

But I believe the process must be allowed to continue.  Holding a government, or a church, or a family hostage because a person or group isn't getting what they want is not the right answer. 

Take your lumps.  Vow to continue the fight.  If the next election cycle favors your party, change things.

It's the way the world works. 

There are winners.

There are losers.

Courage is being able to lose without being defeated.

Cowardice is running from the problem.

Perhaps I've said too much.

No comments: