Friday, January 21, 2011

When Lightening Strikes Twice

I received one of those phone calls earlier this week.  One of those calls that lead down dark pathways--or as the psalmist writes, "through the valley of the shadow of death."

About two years ago, I endured one of the hardest days of ordained ministry--officiating at the funeral of a still born child.  As I led the service, I simply could not look at the grieving parents.

My worst nightmare during our son's miracle pregnancy was that something would go wrong, but I was fortunate.  It didn't.  I have a happy, healthy son.

Those parents at the funeral weren't that lucky.  Their son had died in-utero.  Seven months in.  That tiny casket at the front of the funeral home was a stark reminder that when lightening strikes, it can have devastating effects.

Therefore, I cannot begin to fathom what this same couple is going through right now.  Lightening has indeed struck twice.  Another death in-utero.  Another baby boy.  Another round of grief, anguish, and despair.

I may be called upon to preside at this funeral.  How does one bring good news into the midst of such a nightmare?  I am glad it will not be solely up to me to bring God's Word.  There is something to be said for the Holy Spirit's work.  I only hope He can use me to, if I am asked, to bring some small measure of comfort into lives which are burned tremendously once again.

Lightening strikes suck.

No comments: