Monday, January 31, 2011

An Unmerited Gift

Saturday evening, we attended a fundraiser for my daughter's (and next year, son's) pre-school.  They throw a big party with a meal, silent auction, dessert auction, and a live auction.  The director has basically said the same thing two years in a row.  "The money we raise now helps us with the costs of our school throughout the year."

I told her point blank, "Nancy, the only thing I heard you say was, 'Pay now or pay later.'"

She laughed.

This is the second year we have attended this event, and each year a couple in Bellville has donated a number of cedar type chests to the live auction.  They might not draw too much in the bidding, but there is an emotional tug they use for all the parents in attendance.  Every kid in the class puts his/her hand print on the box and writes his/her name on the hand.  It's pretty cute.  Kaylee's hand was in red, and you could tell she signed her name, backwards Y and all.

My wife and I agreed these boxes were really cool.

We knew, however, that bidding on the box would probably be out of our reach.

Indeed, last year, Kiera's box went for well over $400.

This year, we attended this event with several congregation members.  We sat together and enjoyed a Cajun Feast complete with dirty rice, gumbo, and all the works.

The live auction kicked off, and before we knew it, Kaylee's class box was up.

A bidding war ensued, and the price was finally settled at $450. 

It was only after the thing was sold that we found out who won the box. 

One of the congregation members purchased the box, and she did so so that we could have it.

My wife and I were dumbfounded. 

It was one of the last things we expected.

We were honored.

We were thrilled.

As good Lutherans, we were humbled.

I know brought my congregation member and her husband great joy to present this box to us, and somehow even saying, "Thank you," didn't seem adequate. 

I know this couple, and I know if my wife and I tried to do something for them in return, they wouldn't be happy.  They wanted us to have this as a gift, and they are happy with our thanks.  It is enough.

But I think there is something within us that wants to do more.  We want to do some sort of action to express our gratitude.  If we receive a gift, we want to give something back in return.

But what if "Thank You" is enough?  And, what if, instead, of giving something back to this couple, we became inspired to do something for others?  What if receiving a gift led us to give to others without expectation of return so that they could give to someone else?

What if this was the way God intended us to receive the gift of His grace He gives to us? 

After all, God's grace is an unmerited gift as well.

No comments: