Friday, January 14, 2011

Trouble Coming?

Perhaps.

My Bible study this Sunday should be very, very interesting.

I'm going to get extremely Lutheran with my group of folks.

We'll be reading a portion of the Augsburg Confession which is sure to spark some controversy.

But it will be a necessary conversation.

It will entail the foundational principle of the Lutheran tradtion, "We are saved ONLY by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ--and NOT by ANY work of the law."

We will deal with portions of the Bible which are not followed even by most of the folks who claim to follow the Bible "literally."  (Haven't been to many self described churches where I have seen women wearing head coverings.  1 Corinthians 11)

The Augsburg confession deals with such matters blatantly, and the logical conclusions to their understandings of how we follow the law with the understanding of the Gospel are mind-blowing.  In all actuality, I'm still coming to grips with them a little myself.

I'll post more later. 

After Sunday, there might be a few who might be rather upset.

I hope not.

It's Lutheran doctrine.

Not my own.

No comments: