Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Out of Alignment

Yesterday, I took our GMC Yukon XL to the shop to get a front end alignment and a new tire.

I know it's not necessarily politically correct to own a gas guzzling SUV, but I don't believe that global warming is the boogyman some folks make it out to be and when you can actually get three kids in their lawfully required car seats and groceries into a Prius, I'll buy one.  (Side note ended.)

About a month ago, I was inspecting the tires on the Yukon when I noticed the very worn tread on the front, driver's side tire.  The very inside tread was almost worn completely off!!!  Now, I don't drive the Yukon as much as my wife, and I hadn't noticed the wear until then.  In the next day or so, I purposely drove the vehicle, and I could tell something wasn't quite right with the steering.  The alignment was off.

I knew I had to get it fixed, but being the procrastinator I am, it took a while.  I don't like forking out money for car repairs, but I knew I had to handle this one.

When your alignment is off on a vehicle, there are consequences.  The car doesn't quite hold the road as well as it should.  The tires begin to wear out faster than normal.  If something isn't done, the tread on the inside or outside of the tire will completely wear down reducing traction.  Not good for wet weather.  And if you don't get it fixed, the tire will wear to the point where it will blow out or begin leaking.  Your tire will be trash, and if you happen to be driving when this occurs, the experience will not be pleasant.

$265 bucks later, the car was back in alignment with a new tire.  Not too terribly expensive, and a small price to pay to prevent bigger problems down the road.

Of course, such a thing got me reflecting on the Christian life of faith.  How often are we ourselves "out of alignment"?  How often do we know we are doing something that is just a little out of kilter?  Sure, at the time, it seems harmless enough.  We're still moving and grooving and doing the things we are supposed to be doing.  But, what about the consequences?

The alignment on my front wheel was just slightly off--mind you, when I say slightly, I mean only a few tenths of an inch.  Yet, if corrections weren't made, something devastating could have happened.

How about in our lives?  Are we aligned with Christ?  Are we aligned with His teachings and purpose?  Are we seeking God's will in our lives, or are we content to be drifting, albeit ever so slightly away from Him?  Do we allow ourselves to slip believing we can get back on course at any time without consequence?  Are we content to get back on track a little later even though it might cost more?

I've got three kids, and at about 16 months, I did something that some would consider cruel and unusual.  We'd take a shopping trip to Wal-Mart, and, of course, we'd head to the toys section.  All of the kids loved looking at the toys.  I'd stop at a toy which particularly grabbed the kid's attention.  I'd take it off the shelf and let the kid hold it.  After a few moments, I'd say, "O.K. put it back.  You don't need it."

Each kid sniffled a little, but I quickly said, "No.  Stop it.  You don't need to cry because you don't need that toy."

Each time, the kid stopped.

We continued shopping.

To this day, I have not had a temper tantrum because my kids know they don't need to buy a toy in Wal-Mart or any place for that matter.

As a parent, I tried to make sure the alignment was right.

It's an important thing to do, not only in our kids' lives but in our own as well.

It's still close to new years.  Many have made resolutions to get healthier.  Most will not follow through.  It's too costly in terms of time and energy and pain.  But, pay now or pay later.  Do you want painful knees and joints due to being overweight?  Do you want to increase the chance of heart attack and stroke?  Making those choices now to get aligned in the right direction are important--physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Read the Bible.  Pray.  Go to church.  Make the time to do such things so that the alignment is pointed in the right direction.  Does it cost?  Yep, but in the long run, it's worth it.

No comments: