Saturday, December 11, 2010

Have You Ever Prayed for Someone to Fart?

I just got back from visiting one of my members who was in the hospital.

She was recovering from surgery to remove a growth from around her small intestine. 

For those who don't know it, when you have such a surgery, your intestines shut down and become paralyzed for a time.  Sometimes it takes several days, sometimes up to a week or so for them to kick back in.  Believe it or not, the hospital will not release you until you can fart.

I was reminded of this by my member.

I told her I could expedite the process by running down to the local Taco Bell; however it was spoken in jest since she is still having quite a bit of pain in her stomach and having to have her stomach pumped periodically to prevent her from vomiting.

We had a good visit, and it came time for me to head out.  Of course, I was asked to offer a prayer before I left.

During the prayer, I asked God to help her fart.

Was I wrong?

I don't think so. 

Too often, our prayers are so generic that they could be given for any situation, but I think part of mature prayer is the ability to ask for things both large and small.  I believe part of mature prayer is being able to pray for someone's fever to go away as well as someone's cancer to be healed.  I believe mature prayer is a willingness to be very specific as well as general--when the occasion calls for it.

This woman would not be allowed to get out of the hospital until her intestines started functioning again.  The proof that this healing was happening was her farting.  I prayed that she would be able to fart.

I think God understands.

No comments: