Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Uncle Marty

Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scriptures or by clear reason (for I do not trust either in the pope or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves), I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. May God help me. Amen.  --Martin Luther at the Diet of Worms

Tonight, I will have to raise a bottle of beer and toast the namesake of the denomination to which I am proud to belong.  Happy Birthday to the Reverand, Doctor Martin Luther.

Thank you for standing on the principles God gave to you.

Thank you for your willingness to be an unapologetic apologist for the Reformation, for salvation by grace alone, and for insisting that all folks should have access to the Holy Scriptures.

Thank you for being so "earthy."

Thank you for "A Mighty Fortress."

Thank you for making my head spin in college and in seminary with words nearly 500 years old but just as relevant today as they were then.

Not many Lutheran churches that I know of today are taking a moment to pause and remember who you were and what you did.  We're not even doing so in Cat Spring.  But at the very least, this little, insignificant pastor is remembering and thanking you for what you started.

No comments: