Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Speed of the Spirit

I don't know why I keep getting surprised by how God uses people to accomplishes good in the world.

I have come to believe that most folks want to do good.

Most folks want to make a difference.

That's why many are willing to give of their time and money in helping others.

But it still astounds me how quickly things come about.

Last night.  I sent out a church-wide email to my congregation.  The lady who I blogged about earlier had asked me to keep my eyes and ears open for a double bed that she could use through the duration of her illness.  Shortly thereafter, I received an email from another one of my congregation members asking for a mattress for a man in Sealy who was having back pains.  He didn't have the financial means to get a new one.  I passed these needs onto my congregation.

This morning, at 7:00 a.m. I received a phone message from a lady in my congregation.  She had beds to GIVE to both.  And here is where things get really good.  She literally had a medical bed that would adjust up and down for the lady with cancer.

I called both parties to inform them that we had bedding procured.  When I told the lady with cancer what we had she immediately replied, "That's great!  I needed something like that because I can't breathe when I lay down.  I have to keep my head propped up."

Now, go figure that out.  Coincidence that this woman just happened to have two beds for two people in need in this area?  And coincidence that she just happened to have a bed that was perfect for this lady with cancer?  And coincidence that this was put together so fast?

I...don't...think...so.  It's the Spirit of God, moving only as He can, and moving fast!

It's an awesome thing to see.  Too bad we won't hear about such stories on the news.  They don't incite anger or frustration or helplessness.  Instead, they inspire hope, joy, and goodness.  And we all know that no one really cares about such good tidings.  (sarcasm off) 

I hope this story gives you hope just like it does me.

No comments: